Create a union

How you found an association, you wonder? We have the answer to that in four simple steps!


Compose your statues

The statues is the associations holistic framework and states how the association is organized. The statues shall contain the associations name and purpose, how decisions are made, its’ activity and financial year and how the annual meeting will be arranged.


Convene an annual meeting and elect a board

A constituting annual meeting is the first meeting where individuals are gathered to create the association. At this meeting, you accept the statutes and elect a board. A board must consist three members and one of them shall be elected president. When the meeting is over, the minutes has been written and at least two people have signed the minutes: the association has been founded and has become a legal person.


Apply for a company registration number

To be able to apply for a bank account and have a safe and efficient business, it is great to have a company registration number. The application is sent to Skatteverket along with the minutes from the constituting annual meeting and the statues. To apply for and receive a company registration number is free of charge.


Apply for membership within SSCO

As a union within post-secondary higher education you can apply for membership within SSCO. As members, your students will get access to our student housing queue, kan apply for elected positions within SSCO and you as a union is with us in the work for a better student city. If you have a flag and/or a stand, you also have the opportunity to be a part of the Nobel Ceremonies and the students’ spring celebration at Skansen each year. As a member union of SSCO you pay 14 SEK per union member each year.

If you are an association at a public university you must first achieve Student Union Status to be able to apply for membership at SSCO.

Within higher education, there are two different types of student unions:

  1. A student union at a university or college.
  2. Other form of student unions: vocational colleges (Sw. yrkeshögskola), so called “folk colleges” (Sw. folkhögskola), etc.

If your student union falls under category one, it is subject to the student union regulation (Swedish only). In short, this means that each college and university in Sweden must have a student union which monitors the interests of that college or university’s students – regardless of whether the student is a member of the student union or not.

Learn more about this kind of student union here (Swedish only).

If your student union belongs in category two, it is governed by The Swedish National Agency for Higher Vocational Education (Sw. Myndigheten för Yrkeshögskolan) or to the Folk College Regulation (Sw. Folkskoleförordningen) (Swedish only).  However, these two say very little of the student unions’ role at that kind of education/college.


Norrtullsgatan 2
113 29 Stockholm


Studentpalatset Opening Hours

Vardagar: 08.30 – 22.30
Helger: 09.00 – 19.00


Contact us

För samtliga kontaktuppgifter, se


Follow us